cobalt pet shortwave / mediumwave weblog

08 August 2005

cuba, holland, and the united kingdom

(I guess this is turning into my shortwave radio weblog.)

Tonight I took my shortwave radio out with the intention of listening to Radio Havana Cuba. It would not be so, due to a weak and fading signal. But I got a quite usable signal from Radio Netherlands, this time at 9590 khz. I listened for approximately 20 minutes, and decided to tune away because the content was rather boring. It included several scientific reports: things like how the observed redshift may not be proof of a big bang and an expanding universe (good luck convincing Hawking), how some form of material can be used to fix cavities instead of the traditional drilling and filling, and how some drug does something. In other words, it seemed like easily obtainable content. That serves as an explanation why I wanted to tune into Cuba again.

One major shortwave broadcaster I haven't yet found is the BBC. While I have heard several broadcasts in a UK speaker's accent, I haven't heard any BBC station identifications. Of course, I could be better educated on the BBC's shortwave broadcasting schedule and frequencies. (edit: After consulting the BBC shortwave guide, I noticed/remembered that none of their broadcasts target North America.)

Another goal is to pick up numbers stations. I joined the Enigma 2000 Yahoo group and read their documents that list known broadcasts. I took a stab at picking up two of the so-called easy ones, but nothing yet. Again, information on broadcasting schedules (based on listener observations) and desirable listening locations (I could be wrong but there probably aren't a lot of foreign spies in California) would help fill this gap. So it's an ongoing task.

No comments: