cobalt pet shortwave / mediumwave weblog

08 August 2012

commercials that punish listeners

A few days ago, I heard a new commercial for the first time on my favorite local all-news radio station. And it really annoyed me. The entire ad is a song, and it uses one of the most jarring audio manipulation effects currently available.

The fact that this garish pop music audio effect is being used isn't really the problem. I have a problem listening to all of the song-based commercials on this station. Obviously, I don't tune in to listen to ads, but I certainly don't tune in to listen to music. And calling it music is often being too generous on my part. Music ads are simply a poor fit for any all-talk radio format. That which stands out too much is more likely to be rejected and ignored.

So please, get these crappy jingle ads off my favorite all-news radio station!

No comments: