cobalt pet shortwave / mediumwave weblog

03 December 2011

the absence of radio netherlands

As I review the latest shortwave broadcasting schedules, the most notable absence for me is Radio Netherlands. Their broadcasts seemed to do everything right: lots of interesting content, up-to-date news, strong and reliable broadcasts, and perfectly understandable English. I noted in a May 2006 reception report that Radio Netherlands was my best source of news about Europe. And in April 2007, they broadcasted a detailed story about the Lincoln assassination.

For a few years at least, I was spoiled by that station and their transmission site in Bonaire. I've recently learned that the Netherlands Antilles was dissolved in October 2010, although I've also received a Dutch language broadcast from that transmitter site since then.

No comments: